Renos: bold wall colours make statement
April 16, 2018
Renovation contractors should consider bold wall paint as a final touch on a project, suggests paint expert Bev Bell.
“Paint techniques are a wonderful, cost effective way to create a beautiful focal point,” said Bell, who is the creative director for the Beauti-Tone Paint and Home Products Division of Home Hardware Stores Limited.
She provided an example, which she called “band aid” that involves painting bands of colours on a wall. Bell suggests softening the look by “blurring a few lines, turning a plain wall into art.”
Here is how to do it:
• Paint the entire wall in the lightest colour. Let dry.
• Measure and mark bands on the wall with a chalk line. Bands should vary in width.
• Paint every other band a desired colour using the chalk lines as a guide. Let dry.
• Paint the remaining bands in desired colours, creating an entire wall in colour bands. Let dry.
• To soften edges, brush a line along the bottom of the band using the same colour, and mist with water. Control the runs with the dry cloth.
Bell recommends working one to two feet at a time to keep the project consistent.